Recent scientific studies revealed that prevalence of autism spectrum disorders (ASDs) is more widespread than it has been thought previously. In order to increase our awareness of autism we have to become familiar with its signs serving as "red flags" indicating that your child is at risk of this neuro-developmental disorder.
By 6 months
- Limited or absent eye contact.
- Few or no big smiles or other engaging expressions.
By 9 months
- Little or absent back-and-forth sharing of sounds, smiles or other facial expressions
By 12 months
- Limited or absent response to name
- Limited or absent babbling
- Limited or absent back-and-forth gestures such as pointing, showing, reaching or waving
By 16 months
- Limited or absent words.
By 24 months
- Limited or absent meaningful, two-word phrases
At any age
- Avoidance of eye contact
- Repetitive behaviors
- Persistent repetition of words or phrases
- Resistance to minor changes in routine or surroundings
- Unusual and intense reactions to sounds, smells, tastes, textures, lights and/or colors
- Delayed language development
- Loss of previously acquired speech, babbling or social skills
- Difficulties in understanding of other people’s feelings